“Never doubt that small group of thoughtful, committed global citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the the only thing that ever has” Margaret Mead.
I had grown up with a desire to help others. But I learnt a valuable lesson at 25. Before we can help others, we must fill our own cups first. We can then allow that cup to overflow into the empty cups of those we care about most; family, friends, communities and even the world. Leaving this world in a better place than when we arrived.
When I realized what I could not control, I started focusing my energy on what I could control. I had to temporarily detach from the people and things that were not serving me, draining my cup. I could come back and help others, once I could first help myself. I would need to be 10 foot tall and bulletproof.
This is when my path to Health, Happiness and Connection began.
As a result, at the age of twenty-six, my cup was full.
For me, it started with my mindset. I stepped back and realized that what I was doing was not serving me. I was unhappy and disconnected, so I decided to change something. . . . I made a choice.
I discovered that the foundation of healing was based on what I was feeding my body and how it was absorbed. I realized that my immediate environment was not serving me well. I quit my “dream job” and started moving, surfing, and doing things I loved. I had time and energy to invest into myself, and I regained self-love and self-worth while re-discovering my purpose in the process. I surrounded myself with positive, open minded, driven people. I was a product of the five people I spent the most time with. As a result, everything I started to do felt good.
Finally, I was happy, connected, and seemed to consistently attract good people into my life.
It was at this time that I felt ready to help fill the cups of others. My purpose became focused on helping the people closest to me to fill theirs daily: Family and Friends. Then empowering them to help others and do the same. Together we could create a global impact through connection and collaboration.
Why do we need to change our approach? The statistics do not lie. The burden of preventable disease is increasing in the developed world. Obesity, cancer, and depression are primary causes of death. Processed, packaged foods, uncontrolled growths and our thoughts are killing us! The less developed world is dying from a lack of basic human rights. I realized we needed an ecological approach. I could not stand by while I knew this and saw it impacting the people I cared about the most.
To heal ourselves, we have to be in an environment that allows us to do so. We have to find ways to fill our own cup daily. To help others, we need to give them access to open source information, so they can make better choices. Find the open-minded, ecological problem solvers that are not afraid to share their ideas and thoughts. Stand on the shoulders of giants so we can make the complex seem simple.
In an ideal world this new health and wellness system would work toward people being healthy, happy and connected.
To do this, we need to consider the person and their environment! It needs to be evidence-based, but outcome-focused. Prevention is the best cure. Dis-ease would become a transient state. People would be informed and empowered to self manage their own pathway and journey to wellness. They would make and have informed choices with support.
However, I am a realist. Things are not ecological. I would like to leave this world in a better place than when I arrived, but I am aware of the paradox of our time. We all seem to know what to do, but chose not to do it. If we keep choosing to do the same thing over and over, expecting a different result, then perhaps Darwin was right: dis-evolution.
Just Imagine if we could create an environment where our friends, family, and children could thrive, not just survive. Thrival.
So let’s keep this simple. It starts with you.
Where do you start on your path to health, happiness and connection?
First, ask yourself – Am I HAPPY?
– If not, why not?
Second, ask yourself – Am I CONNECTED?
– With myself?
– To the people around me?
– To the world I live in?
– To my purpose?
If you answer YES to all of the above, Your cup is full. Be grateful and empathetic, because this is rare.
– I challenge you to connect, contribute and collaborate to help others do the same.
If you answer NO, to one or more, Your cup is empty.
– Surround yourself with 5 people that build you up, not bring you down. Knowing that success leaves clues. Take guidance from them. Take ownership of your journey, start with your mindset, self develop, reconnect with your values, passion and purpose. CONNECT, work towards being HAPPY again and make sure you maintain your HOLISTIC HEALTH as you do so. Stay HEALTHY starting with food as medicine, use that energy knowing that motion is lotion. Maintain a self serving mindset, knowing that we become what we think a about most. Grow daily, allign with your values and purpose, whilst helping others and inspiring them to do the same.
Every day we make choices based on the best information available to us. But, if like me, one day you wake up unhappy, unhealthy and disconnected, why not change something? Be inspired, not desperate. Be open to new information. Make a choice today. #fillyourcup first.
#fillyourcup has been created as a platform to help you and to help others. This is my story.
This #startswithme but it’s #notaboutme
SHARE YOUR STORY or YOUR MESSAGE.
Hopefully this vulnerability inspires you to share yours or share your 3minute video message to the world.
1) EXAMPLE: 3 minute videos – Explain it to a 7 year old approach
– Why do you get up in the morning, and why should be people care?
– What be your message to the world at your funeral, to the future version of you?
– Do you have a story where your cup was empty, and now it is full?
2) Guest bloggers
– If you have an area of expertise. Let’s CONNECT, I can help share your wisdom with the everyday person.
– Feed back to your content, for people that need guidance in a specific area.
– Or share this page with someone I should connect with so we can leverage their message to help others.
reach out and email videos to email@example.com