XPRIZE is an educational nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring about radical breakthroughs for the benefit of humanity, thereby inspiring the formation of new industries and the revitalization of markets that are currently stuck due to existing failures or a commonly held belief that a solution is not possible. XPRIZE addresses the world’s Grand Challenges by creating and managing large-scale, high-profile, incentivized prize competitions that stimulate investment in research and development worth far more than the prize itself. It motivates and inspires brilliant innovators from all disciplines to leverage their intellectual and financial capital.
The Finalists of Last years challenge:
- Home: “Human Dignity” – Build a pack-and-go housing solution that provides efficient water, electricity, and sanitation. The solution must be scalable, deployable in one day, have a life of at least six months, and be adaptable to multi-terrain and climate conditions
- Food: “Global Water Crisis” – Create a mass-market, scalable technology that will reduce water usage in farming by 70% per acre, while maintaining competitive pricing for produce. The technology will reduce farmers’ dependence on water for food production, and reduce consumer costs
- Work: “Robin Hood Bond” – Create a financial instrument for low-income populations that has a better risk-adjusted return than a junk bond
- Mind: “Big Wisdom” – Create an artificial intelligence capable of aggregating collective wisdom. The solution will give everyone on earth as much access to our collective wisdom as we currently have to factual information
- Health: “Healthy America” – Design a personal health score, aggregate data across diverse populations, demonstrate a sustainable improvement in health of 25 percent over six months, and scale to a larger population for one year
- Wild Card: “Waste to Wealth” – Create a technology that is able to sort and process 95 percent of landfill waste in an immediately profitable way
Meet Peter H. Diamandis (/diːʌˈmændɪs/; born May 20, 1961) is a Greek-American engineer, physician, and entrepreneur best known for being the founder and chairman of the X Prize Foundation, the co-founder and executive chairman of Singularity University and the co-author of the New York Times bestsellers Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think and BOLD: How to Go Big, Create Wealth, and Impact the World. He is also the former CEO and co-founder of the Zero Gravity Corporation, the co-founder and vice chairman of Space Adventures Ltd., the founder and chairman of the Rocket Racing League, the co-founder of the International Space University, the co-founder of Planetary Resources, founder of Students for the Exploration and Development of Space, and vice-chairman & co-founder of Human Longevity, Inc.